Wheat Allergy Symptoms
You don’t have to live your life in pain, suffering body aches, digestive issues or in a mental funk. Check out this list of wheat allergy symptoms to see if you suffer from gluten intolerance.
There are over 300 symptoms associated to wheat allergies or celiac disease. This is a list of the most common, is you suffer from a number of these you could have a gluten intolerance.
- Fatigue – sometimes diagnosed as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- Skin Problems
- Dermatitis Herpetiformis – a skin rash that may or may not form blisters.
- Acme – inflammation can be a cause of acme.
- Eczema – may also be caused by inflammation.
- Rosacea – red patches on the face, can be mistaken for acme or eczema.
- Dry Eye – maybe a side effect of Rosacea.
- Joint Pain – a constant aching in all joints, but each person may experience pains in just a few joints.
- Numbness or Tingling in extremities
- Digestive Issues
- Diarrhea – I don’t think you need a graphic description.
- Constipation – although most people associate diarrhea with wheat allergies, some people will experience bouts of constipation, or both at different times.
- Heartburn – this may be caused by the other digestive problems.
- Bloating/Gas – if you or someone close to you had this you know what it is.
- Gluten Caused Asthma – some believe there is a correlation between gluten and asthma. The asthma and allergy foundation lists asthma as one of the most common signs of wheat allergies.
- Anemia – a disorder of the red blood cells causes distress or fatigue throughout the body as it does not get enough oxygen or other nutrients.
- Infertility – some studies are looking into celiac and infertility, while some are looking into wheat sensitivity as well.
- Depression, Anxiety & Irritability – all three have been linked to gluten.
- Brain Fog
- Headaches – may develop within an hour of eating.
- Disorganization – difficulty concentrating or losing your train of thought.
- Attention Deficit – gluten is being added to the long list of ADHD triggers along with dyes, sugar and additives.
- Fibromyalgia-muscle and connective tissue pain.
- Chronic Irritability and Sudden Irrational Mood Swings.
- Inflammation – is caused when white blood cells are triggered but there are foreign substances to attack, so they turn on the bodies normal healthy cells. Inflammation could be the cause of many of the items on this list including the next one.
- Arthritis – the word arthritis actually means joint inflammation. Prolonged inflammation can cause joint tissue damage.
Experts believe if you suffer from four or more of these symptoms you have a good chance of suffering from wheat sensitivity, but even one symptom could be a sign you have some level of sensitivity.
If you have a number of symptoms you should have a doctor perform a simple blood test to see if you have celiac disease.